SDE: 120 Special Services Endorsements

Special Services Endorsements - Fact Sheet #120

Note: Many items marked [enclosed] are available upon request as paper copy. This is not an on-line form.

The following endorsements are classified as special services:

Speech and Language Pathologist
School Social Worker
School Nurse-Teacher
School Dental Hygienist-Teacher
School Counselor
School Psychologist

This fact sheet will provide you with specific requirements unique to each special services endorsement.  Please be aware that applicants requesting endorsements to serve as a speech and language pathologist, school counselor, or school psychologist must complete, at a regionally accredited college or university, a planned program of preparation leading to a recommendation for certification.  The college will outline the specific courses required for certification.  In addition, special services certification may not be obtained through cross endorsement.

All applicants who do not hold a valid Connecticut educator
 certificate must meet the following requirements:

Praxis I Pre-Professional Skills Tests (PPST):  paper-based
 Praxis I Pre-Professional Skills Tests (PPST):  computerized
Waiver +


A course of study in special education comprised of not fewer than 36 clock hours, which shall include study in understanding the growth and development of exceptional children, including handicapped and gifted and talented children and children who may require special education, and methods for identifying, planning for and working effectively with special-needs children in the regular classroom.

In addition, an applicant who holds a valid Connecticut educator teaching certificate must meet the required course of study in special education to obtain certification in all special service areas.

Speech and Language Pathologist

  • Valid license from the Connecticut Department of Public Health;
  • Three semester hours of credit in curriculum and methods of providing clinical services to children with communication impairments in schools;
  • Six semester hours of credit in professional education, including course work in such areas as:
    - Foundations of education
    - Psychology: child, educational, developmental, adolescent, or cognitive learning;
    - Classroom instruction and management, bilingual/bicultural education, reading,
       curriculum development or behavioral management;
  • A minimum of six semester hours of credit and no more than 12 semester hours of credit in supervised observation, participation and full-time student teaching.  Must include at least 100 clock hours of supervised clinical practice for a board of education.

School Social Worker

  • Master's degree in social work from a school of social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.

Page 2 -  #120

School Nurse Teacher

  • Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 40 semester hours of credit in general education, including six credits in English and six credits in social sciences.
  • Graduated from a school of professional nursing.
  • Holds a valid Connecticut registered nurse license.
  • Has 36 semester hours of credit in a planned program of study and experience, including study among each of the following:
    - Foundations of education.
    - Educational psychology.
    - Curriculum and methods of teaching.
    - Supervised field experience in a public health agency or a minimum of six semesters hours of
       credit and no more than12 semester hours of credit in student teaching of health education.
    - Health education
    - School health services.

School Dental Hygienist-Teacher

  • Valid dental hygienist license.
  • Bachelor's degree or its equivalent including six semester hours of credit in school health services, child growth and development, methods and materials of instruction, and school organization.

School Counselor

  • Holds a professional educator certificate or holds or is eligible for an initial educator certificate and has completed 30 school months of successful teaching experience or a ten month full-time supervised school counseling internship.
  • Master's degree.
  • 30 semester hours of graduate credit in a planned program in school counseling services, including course work in each of the following areas:
    - Principles and philosophy of developmental guidance and counseling.
    - Psychological and sociological theory as related to children.
    - Career development theory and practice.
    - Individual and group counseling procedures.
    - Pupil appraisal and evaluation techniques.
    - School-based consultation theory and practice.
  • Evidence of laboratory and practicum experiences in school counseling.

School Psychologist

  • Master's degree.
  • 45 semester hours of graduate credit in a planned program for school psychologists, including course work in the following areas:
    - Evaluation techniques.
    - Supervised practicum or field work experience with school-age children.
    - Characteristics of and programs for exceptional children.
    - Human growth and personality development.
    - Individual and group counseling skills.
    - Learning theories.
  • In addition to the supervised practicum, completed a ten school month school psychology internship under the supervision of a certified school psychologist, the local school system, and the preparing institution.

Page 3 - #120

   + Praxis I Pre-Professional Skills Tests (PPST):  Waiver Options

What Is A Waiver And How Can I Apply For One?

A waiver is an alternative to taking and passing the Essential Skills Tests.  Waiver application booklets are available at the education departments of Connecticut colleges and universities, or you may call (860) 713-6969 or send a fax (860) 713-7017 to request one.

A waiver may be granted by furnishing official* proof of having met one of the following:

SAT Waiver:  A total** score of 1,000 on the SAT, with neither the mathematics nor the verbal subtest scores below 400 points from any test administration on or prior to March 31, 1995, or a combined score of 1,100 or more with no less than 450 on either the verbal or mathematics subtests from test administrations on or after April 1, 1995.


ACT Waiver:  No less than 22 on the English subtest and no less than 19 on the mathematics subtest on the American College Testing (ACT) program assessment from test administrations on or after October 1989, or the equivalent ACT scores of no less than 20 on the English and 17 on the mathematics, from test administrations prior to October 1989.


PAA Waiver:  A total score on the Prueba de Aptitud Academica (PAA) equivalent*** to a combined score of 1,000 on the SAT with neither the mathematics nor the verbal subtest score below the equivalent of 400 points.  In addition, a minimum score of 510 on the English as a Second Language Achievement Test (ESLAT) or the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).

*Official SAT, ACT and PAA scores are those scores sent directly to ETS from the respective testing company.  Test scores forwarded to the CSDE by candidates cannot be accepted.  Note that ETS is acting on behalf of the CSDE to process waiver applications.

**If you have taken the SAT on more than one occasion, your highest verbal score and your highest mathematics score will be combined.

***Equivalent scores are based on the equivalency table developed by William C. Angoff and Linda L. Cook reported in Angoff, W.C. and Cook, L.L.  "Equating the Scales of the Spanish-Language Prueba de Aptitude Academica and the English-Language Scholastic Aptitude Test of the College Entrance Examination Board."  Princeton, NJ:  Educational Testing Service, 1988.

The information contained on this fact sheet is subject to change without notice.

Box 150471 Hartford, Connecticut 06115-0471
An Equal Opportunity Employer

If you require further information or have a technical question regarding this site, contact us

Content Last Modified on 2/26/2016 11:12:06 AM