||Every student needs and deserves a rich and rigorous mathematics curriculum that is focused on the development of concepts, the acquisition of basic and advanced skills and the integration of problem solving experiences. The Department of Education encourages educators to provide such challenging mathematics opportunities to foster the growth of intelligent, thoughtful and mathematically literate members of society. |
CSDE CURRICULUM, INSTRUCTION AND ASSESSMENT PUBLICATIONS
Curriculum and Instruction
- Common Core State Standards - Effective July 7, 2010, the Connecticut State Board of Education adopted the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) in English language arts and mathematics (Common Core State Standards ). These standards establish what Connecticut’s students should know and be able to do as they progress through Grades K-12. CSDE will provide support for local education agencies as they transition from the 2005 Mathematics Curriculum Framework and the 2007 PK-8 Curriculum Standards, commonly referred to as the GLEs. Currently, documents that are intended to assist districts in CCSS-based curriculum revision and development are available. Updated: Mathematics CCS
NEW! CT Mathematics Unit Planning Organizers are designed to be a resource for developers of curriculum. The documents feature standards organized in units with key concepts and skills identified, and a suggested pacing guide for the unit. The standards for Mathematical Practice are an integral component of CT Standards (CCSS) and are evident highlighted accordingly in the units.
The information in the unit planning organizers can easily be placed into the curriculum model in used at the local level during the revision process. It is expected that local and/or regional curriculum development teams determine the "Big Ideas" and accompanying "Essential Questions" as they complete the units with critical vocabulary, suggested instructional strategies, activities and resources.
Note that all standards are important and are eligible for inclusion on the large scale assessment to be administered during the 2014-15 school year. The Standards were written to emphasize correlations and connections within mathematics. The priority and supporting standard identification process emphasized that coherence. Standards were identified as priority or supporting based on the critical areas of focus described in the CT Standards, as well as the connections of the content within and across the K-12 domains and conceptual categories. In some instances, a standard identified as priority actually functions as a supporting standard in a particular unit. No stratification or omission of practice or content standards is suggested by the system of organization utilized in the units.
- CommonCore.org has developed yearlong curriculum maps in Mathematics that support curriculum development and delivery in schools and classrooms. These curriculum maps may be useful to CT educators as a component of the curricular development process in a Common Core State Standards implementation plan at the district level.
Math-Science Partnership Project
• Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) – Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching are the nation's highest honor for K-12 teachers of mathematics and science. Awardees serve as models for their colleagues, inspiration to their communities, and leaders in the improvement of mathematics and science education. The 2013-14 PAEMST competition is open to teachers working in Grades K-6. The nomination period will open in Fall 2013. Application information will be posted when available.
2012 PAEMST State Finalists – K-6 Mathematics:
- Foday Dumbuya, CREC Montessori Magnet School, Hartford
- Andrew Mazzei, Louis P. Slade Middle School, New Britain
- Maren Sussman, Center School, Ellington
2012 PAEMST State Finalists – K-6 Science:
- Kristen Senise, Spring Glen School, Hamden
- Mary Servino, Interdistrict Discovery Magnet School, Bridgeport
- Brenda Windsor, Frenchtown Elementary School, Trumbull
2013 PAEMST State Finalist – Gr. 7-12 Mathematics:
- Jacqueline Corricelli, Conard High School, West Hartford
2013 PAEMST State Finalists – Gr. 7-12 Science:
- Matthew Brodeur, East Hartford High School
- Joshua Steffenson, Glastonbury High School
- Gregory Walsh, John Winthrop School, Bridgeport
Teachers & Administrators
Parents & Community
- ASK DR. MATH
This site offers problems, puzzles and most importantly, answers to your math questions. A resource for students, teachers and parents
- FIGURE THIS!
Find problems to solve and make mathematics learning and problem solving fun and interesting for the middle grades student and their family
- Math Activities for the Home
The US Department of Education's link to archived activities that jumpstart kids’ thinking about mathematics during everyday activities
Charlene Tate Nichols, Consultant
Phone: (860) 713-6757
Facsimile: (860) 713-7049
K-8 Mathematics Curriculum and Instruction
Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching
Connecticut Mastery Test
Content Last Modified on 8/13/2013 2:07:19 PM