Health Promotion Services/School Nurse
Health Promotion Services/School Nurse Program provides consultation to school nurses, school nurse leaders, school administrators and the community regarding the health and safety of students. This consultation and technical assistance includes addressing the provisions of health services during the school day and the promotion of health and wellness activities that support student achievement. Professional development programs are periodically organized to further assist and support school nurses.
Definition of School Nursing/Survey
"School nursing is a specialized practice of professional nursing that advances the well-being, academic success, and life-long achievement of students. To that end, school nurses facilitate positive student responses to normal development; promote health and safety; intervene with actual and potential health problems; provide case management services; and actively collaborate with others to build student and family capacity for adaptation, self-management, self-advocacy and learning."
*Adopted by the National Association of School Nurses, June 1999
Survey on School Health Services in Connecticut
This survey is conducted yearly in collaboration with Education Connection. Results of the survey are used to develop an annual report on school health services in Connecticut. The Health Services Program Information Survey Reports can be downloaded for each year that the survey was conducted.
- 2013 Summary [PDF] Full Report [PDF]
- 2012 Summary [PDF] Full Report [PDF]
- 2011 Summary [PDF] Full Report [PDF]
- 2010 Summary [PDF] Full Report [PDF]
- 2009 Summary [PDF] Full Report [PDF]
- 2008 Summary [PDF] Full Report [PDF]
- 2007 Full Report [PDF]
- 2006 Full Report [PDF]
- 2005 Full Report [PDF]
- 2004 Full Report [PDF]
School Nurse/Teacher Evaluation Resources
- Addressing the Needs of the Whole Child: Social, Emotional, Behavioral, and Physical Health, as well as Academic Achievement, in Connecticut's SRBI Process, Topical Brief 3, Scientific Research-Based Interventions (2011)
- Bed Bug Guide for Connecticut Schools
- Clinical Procedure Guidelines for Connecticut School Nurses
- Connecticut School Health Survey
Connecticut Guidelines for the Sexual Health Education Component of Comprehensive Health Education
- Education Guidelines for the Prevention and Management of Lead Poisoning in Children
- Field Trips: Guidance for School Nurses (New 6/14)
- Guidelines for a Coordinated Approach to School Health
- Guidelines for Blood Glucose Self-Monitoring in School — updated Sept. 5, 2012
- Guidelines for Cumulative Health Records
- Guidelines for Health Screenings: Vision, Hearing and Postural
- Guidelines for Implementation of the Definitions of Excused and Unexcused Absences and Best Practices for Absence Prevention and Intervention (New 5/13)
- Guidelines for Managing Life-Threatening Food Allergies in Connecticut Schools (Includes Guidelines for Managing Glycogen Storage Disease) — updated Sept. 21, 2012
- Healthy and Balanced Living Framework
- Learning and Diabetes: A Resource Guide for Connecticut Schools and Families — updated Sept. 7, 2012
- Linking Lead and Education Data in Connecticut
- Meningococcal Vaccine Information
- Superintendent Letter - Public Schools [PDF] Nonpublic Schools [PDF]
- Meningococcal Disease Information - Parent Letter [PDF] Spanish [PDF]
- Meningococcal Fact Sheet [PDF] Spanish [PDF]
- The Nurse's Office: Cleaning the Safe and Healthy Way-PDF
- Tuberculosis Control Screening Guidelines in Schools
- Health Assessment Form 2011 [PDF] [DOC] - Please print on "blue" paper (Rev. 4/12)
- Early Childhood Health Assessment Form [PDF] [DOC] - Please print on "yellow" paper
- Immunization Requirements [PDF]
- ED513 - Health Service Plan [PDF]
- Medical Exemption Immunization Form [PDF]
- Religious Exemption Immunization Form [PDF]
- Sample Medication Authorization Form [PDF]
- Individualized Health Care Plan [PDF] [DOC]
- Epinephrine Administration Form [PDF] [DOC]
- Sample HIPAA Form [PDF] [DOC]
- HUSKY School Form [PDF]
Available by telephone or e-mail request:
Managing Asthma in Schools (2002)
Serving Student's with Special Health Care Needs (1992)
Guidelines for Special Health Procedures for School Nurses (1997)
Other publications that may be useful can be found at: http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/cwp/view.asp?a=2678&Q=320730#publications
Professional Development Opportunities
Professional Development Information Brochure [PDF]
Revised 2010: Medication Administration Regulations [PDF]
Public Health Regulations
Other Web Resources
The American School Health Association
is a multidisciplinary organization committed to safeguarding the health of school-aged children. This site provides resources, professional development opportunities, publications, and other pertinent school health information.
The Association of School Nurses of Connecticut
is the website for the state school nurse professional organization. This site provides information about school nursing, professional development and Connecticut- specific information.
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention
is the recognized lead federal agency for protecting the health and safety of people at home and abroad. This website offers a wide array of health information on public health issues ranging from bioterrorism to chronic disease prevention. It also includes a web page for youth called BAM (Body and Mind Kids Page).
is a guide to reliable health information, which includes a health library, health news, just for you section with information for children through seniors, health care providers, and a directory of health finder organizations.
Making Health Academic
is a website dedicated to providing information about creating Coordinated School Health Programs (CSHP). The site includes an overview of CSHP, action steps and resources.
The National Institute of Health
, part of the US Department of Health and Human Services provides health and drug information and resources, grant and fu nding opportunities, news and events, scientific resources and much more.
The National Association of School Nurses
is the official website of the national professional organization of school nurses. The information includes standards of professional school nursing practice, position statements and issue briefs, publications, resources, professional development opportunities and much more.
The National Association of State School Nurse Consultants
is the website for the national organization of state school nurse consultants. This site provides information on consultants across the country, position statements, resources and links to other health programs and services.
Links to Other State Agencies
Stephanie G. Knutson, MSN, R.N.
School Health Consultant
Bureau of Health/Nutrition, Family Services and Adult Education
Connecticut State Department of Education
25 Industrial Park Road, Middletown, CT 06457
Fax (860) 807-2127
Content Last Modified on 10/19/2014 6:47:15 PM